Monday, January 22, 2007

If you think the Church's only business is saving souls, you're not paying attention

This was the New Testament reading yesterday:

Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit,and news of him spread
throughout the whole region. He taught in their synagogues and was praised by
all. He came to Nazareth, where he had grown up, and went according to his
custom into the synagogue on the sabbath day. He stood up to read and was handed
a scroll of the prophet Isaiah. He unrolled the scroll and found the passage
where it was written: The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed
me to bring glad tidings to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to
captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and
to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord. Rolling up the scroll, he handed it
back to the attendant and sat down, and the eyes of all in the synagogue looked
intently at him. He said to them,"Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled in
your hearing."

Notice that the scriptural passage quoted Jesus talks about poor people, blind people, oppressed people, and prisoners. Not the sinful.

And this is why I don't concern myself overmuch with scandals in the church. Enough about those priests who spy for the secret police, gay bishops, liturgical squabbles, seemingly endless schisms, or any of the rest of the matters that have so many people up in arms.

It's not that Liberation theology (or Social Gospel or whatever you want to call it) is my alpha and omega. It's just that I would rather focus on Jesus, for whom the importance was in doing, rather than quibbling. From time to time I meditate on the following passage:

When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then
he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations,
and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep
from the goats, and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at
the left. Then the King will say to those at his right hand, `Come, O blessed of
my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the
world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me
drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I
was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the
righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or
thirsty and give thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome
thee, or naked and clothe thee? And when did we see thee sick or in prison and
visit thee?' And the King will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it
to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.' Then he will say to
those at his left hand, `Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire
prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food,
I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome
me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit
me.' Then they also will answer, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty
or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?' Then
he will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least
of these, you did it not to me.' And they will go away into eternal punishment,
but the righteous into eternal life." (Matthew 25:31-46)

When it says "Begone, you wearer of Barney costumes," I'll change my mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree- that's one of my favorite passages. After all, faith without works is dead.